A few days ago (or was it MANY days ago…I forget, I’m losing track of time these days), I was TAGGED by our ex-pat in Italy (my ancestral homeland), American Indy in Italy….
Which means I have to write 6 things about myself and write to 6 other people. I’m going to include the crew at IA in this, too, just to cover all the bases here at IA. I’ve probably broken the chain, but here goes:
1) I graduated #1 in my class in Automotive Technology back in the mid-80’s and then was given jobs like fixing water leaks on convertibles instead of the money jobs like brakes. See how long my being pissed goes back??? (and it goes back even further, believe me!) (At least to my undergrad and graduate student days at Cornell and Rutgers School of Library and Information Studies, which is now called something else…)
2) I really love COOKING! My latest kick is watching Gillian McKeith on BBC America. The show is “You Are What You Eat” and it is brilliant! The one recipe that I have adopted with gusto is here Sweet Potato Pie Pizza….that crust is AMAZING!! I top it with greens like fresh-from-the garden steamed mustard, kale or collards, or stir-fry up some broccoli and top the crust with that and lots of olive oil and garlic. I’m making it tonight!!
3) I’ve gardened for at least 25 years and really got into it while recovering from foot surgery. I read lots of books since I couldn’t walk for awhile. I had a huge garden in Jersey complete with a Troy-built rototiller. I canned tomatoes for the whole winter. I’ve had to re-learn everything for the Southwest (high desert) and have two raised beds (about 3 feet high) to spare my back (had surgery 9 years ago). You can see pictures of my winter garden on this site in various places. I planted more lettuce yesterday, by the way.
4) My doggies and betta fish are my babies. Toro, the oldest and the one we bought via the vet, a chi but with lots of rat terrier in him (a “deer chi”). Tico, who is probably a mix of chi and Pembroke Welsh Corgi, and Slick, the min pin rescued from the street. The fish is still unnamed and I could use a few suggestions. I’m trying to learn chess, and still listen to shortwave radio. But I’ve just found a new site that I will be writing about that is really great…foreign TV! My favorite TV channel is Turner Classic Movies, especially anything they air that’s pre-1970. Preferably black and white.
5) I lived in London during the mid-80’s and made a lot of trips there before and after that experience (and the rest of Europe, too, including behind the Iron Curtain, including a foray alone into East Berlin). I had a work permit and had a blast working around London. I also attended Vidal Sassoon to perfect my haircutting (I had graduated from a local “academy” and got a work permit for the UK since I had been a student at 35!) The only time I ever got sick traveling was when I went to Paris for a quick few days. On the train to the Hovercraft, it started. So, I actually got sick in London, not from the traveling!! I had also planned to go to Moscow and Leningrad and had my tickets all set from the official tourist bureau…but Chernobyl blew up. The Russians decided to refund my money….I guess I was caught in the radioactive cloud as I walked around Kew Gardens that day…
6) I started inviting folks to contribute to the blog and wound up with the crew you see on the sidebar! Kenosha Marge is a really talented seamstress! Grail Guardian is a history buff and works with computers! American Lassie has worked in the tax field! And Leslie works in a Chicago hospital setting and is a long sufferer as she deals with the media there!
So now I have to write to 6 bloggers…I don’t know who’s been tagged, but I’ll find some folks and tag them as soon as I eat lunch!!!
Filed under: Life | Tagged: "You Are What You Eat", American Indy in Italy, American Lassie, automotive technology, BBC America, betta fish, broccoli, Chernobyl, chess, chihuahuas, collards, cooking, corgis, Cornell University, dogs, gardening, garlic, Gillian McKeith, Grail Guardian, Hovercraft, InsightAnalytical, kale, kenosha Marge, Kew Gardens, Leslie Chicago Correspondent, London, min pins, mustard, olive oil, Paris, Pembroke Welsh Corgi, Rutgers University, shortwave radio, sweet potato pizza crust, Troy-built rototiller, Vidal Sassoon |